Friday 1 August 2003

Today was one of those days that I hope to repeat many times. I went to my grandparents, and spent the day with them. It's nice to go there from time to time, and talk to them, but mostly listen to them. They had a rich life with lots of stories, and I like to hear them, those stories give me pleasure while listening to them, and a subject to think about when they end, their stories are full of experience and usually you can take one or two good advices from that stories.
I think that in our days we ignore old people very much, we put them 'on a corner' and wait until their dead, so we can cry their lose, and I also believe that these behaviour has to change. Old people may not be able to work as a young person, but they have ideas and points of view that must be taken in account. They've been in this world much to time to be ignored and put aside, we must use their experience to improve our society, which in these days needs lots of improvements so it can reach a medium level.
Another factor that should lead us to starting respecting old people is that they are also human beings, which need attention as any other human being. You should see the smiles on there faces when they have someone to spend time with, it's great to see you've helped someone to feel a little better, just with your presence, just with your ability of knowing how to hear.
I really hope my grand parents will stay alive for many and many years, and I believe that to make my hope come true, I must make them feel good with themselves, with happiness, so they do want to live, and so that they do feel needed, because there's a majority of old people that feel useless, and that takes away from them the desire of staying alive

No comments: