Tuesday 19 August 2003

It wasn’t enough having one of the worst health services in the world… The government has reduced the money available for Portuguese health… I ask, isn’t there anybody in Europe with powers to stop this?
When I compare Portugal to other countries in Europe, everything looks worst, in no subject we can say… Hey we’re the best, but we find it rewarding if we can say, Hey we are not the last (sometimes Greece can be worst).
Would somebody explain what is the great difference between Portugal and Italy or Austria, because I don’t understand why is Portugal so backward in comparison with these counties…
I once thought maybe it’s because of there natural recourses, that are best then ours… I discovered that Portugal has best natural recourses than Italy, then I thought Maybe it’s because of the fishing maybe Italy has a economy based on industrial fishing, but I discovered that Portugal has the biggest EEZ in the UE, that means that until now Portugal had more space for fishing that any other country in the UE, and more, Italy hasn’t there economy based in fishing.
In the last years I’ve been trying to find the reason, then I read an article of a famous economist that won a Nobel prize, he said that I the last 20 years Portugal has been a good example of what should be done to lead a country to bankrupt… and I tend to believe him…
Many people are afraid the UE will take away the national identity, that all the counties in the end will form just one, that the local traditions will vanish… I don’t believe in that, but I’m just anxious that local governments start to be checked by the UE so that they can’t take measures like the one I referred above. But what I would really like to see in Portugal is a competent government… A government that would make the life of the Portuguese people more comfortable…

No comments: